Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Health

Anger at Pembrokeshire Withybush hospital downgrade decision

Published

on

THURSDAY’S health board decision to downgrade the emergency general surgery service at Pembrokeshire’s Withybush hospital has been condemned by local politicians.

Last year, Hywel Dda University Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.

It said its Clinical Services Plan focuses on nine healthcare services that are “fragile and in need of change”.

These nine clinical services were selected because of risks to them being able to continue to offer safe, high-quality services, or care in a timely manner, the board has previously said.

The proposed changes included an option for Withybush patients needing specialist critical care being transferred to Glangwili.

At a two-day meeting into the proposed changes, held on February 18 and 19, the board backed changes into emergency general surgery which will see no emergency general surgery operations taking place at Withybush, but a strengthening of the same-day emergency care (SDEC).

For the other three hospitals, there would be no change in emergency general surgery provision, other than a strengthening of SDEC at Glangwili.

Members stressed the changes would not happen overnight.

Reacting to the decision, local MP Henry Tufnell described it as “another blow for access to healthcare in Pembrokeshire,” adding:  As your MP, I will continue to do everything in my power to fight for improvements to our essential services. I’ll be urging the Health Board to revisit this awful decision on emergency services.”

Plaid Cymru candidate for the forthcoming Senedd elections Kerry Ferguson called on the Health Board to reconsider its decision.

“We are so disappointed with the Health Board’s decision to remove the current emergency general services from Withybush. Whilst the Board has committed to maintaining and strengthening Same Day Emergency Care, residents of west Pembrokeshire will still face at least an hour’s journey to receive emergency operations or significant treatment.

“Residents in Pembrokeshire are rightly worried and anxious about the services Withybush might lose, and losing their emergency general services is a huge blow.

“I call on the Health Board to urgently reconsider their decision, and to take into account the risks and impact that implementing option A will have on residents of Pembrokeshire.”

Local Conservative politicians have also reacted angrily to the Withybush decision, along with changes to the stroke service provision at Ceredigion’s Aberystwyth-based Bronglais hospital.

Local Welsh Conservative Senedd Member, Paul Davies MS said: “I’m appalled that Hywel Dda University Health Board has voted to remove general emergency surgery services from Withybush hospital – but I’m not surprised.

“The Health Board is obsessed with removing services from Pembrokeshire and has spent years downgrading and removing services from Withybush hospital. As one constituent has rightly said, the Board should be rebranded the Carmarthenshire Health Board, as it continues to strip assets from other hospitals in west Wales.

“Removing general emergency surgery services critically undermines the sustainability of Withybush hospital’s A and E department and will result in patients having to be transported for urgent treatment. This is not acceptable – I will be taking this to the Welsh Government and urging Ministers to intervene and stop the Health Board from making this catastrophic decision.”

Fellow Pembrokeshire Conservative Senedd Member Samuel Kurtz MS said: “Residents in Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion are being treated like second class citizens, as it is always us in the West that has to see our services cut.
“The salami slicing of services is exactly what the Labour government have wanted, and the health board are delivering. This is a sad day, and residents will rightly be angry and concerned.”

 

Health

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Published

on

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere

PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred out of county for specialist treatment under major changes approved this week by Hywel Dda University Health Board.

Under the new model, patients suspected of having a stroke will continue to receive initial assessment and emergency treatment at Withybush Hospital.

However, those requiring specialist stroke care will then be transferred to Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen, which is expected to become the main specialist stroke centre for the region.

Health leaders say concentrating specialist services in one location will improve outcomes by ensuring patients are treated by dedicated teams with greater expertise and availability.

Concerns about travel times

The changes are likely to raise concerns in Pembrokeshire, where travel distances to Carmarthen can be significant and ambulance journeys lengthy, particularly from rural communities.

Stroke treatment is highly time-critical, with outcomes often depending on how quickly specialist care can be delivered.

Campaigners have previously warned that longer transfer times could increase risks for patients in remote parts of west Wales.

Local care still provided

Health officials stress that Withybush Hospital will continue to play an important role in stroke care.

Patients will still receive emergency assessment, stabilisation and initial treatment locally before transfer if specialist intervention is required.

Where appropriate, patients may later be transferred back closer to home for recovery.

Regional plans still developing

As part of the wider changes across west Wales, proposals to develop enhanced stroke rehabilitation services at Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth remain subject to further risk assessment and community consultation.

No final decision has yet been confirmed.

Changing role of Withybush

The stroke changes represent another shift in how services are delivered at Withybush Hospital, with specialist treatment increasingly concentrated at larger centres elsewhere in the region.

The hospital will continue to provide a 24-hour emergency department, diagnostics and other core services, but the way patients access specialist care is evolving.

 

Continue Reading

Health

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Published

on

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care

MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been approved following an extraordinary meeting of Hywel Dda University Health Board on Thursday (Feb 19).

Board members agreed the next steps in the organisation’s Clinical Services Plan, covering nine services identified as under pressure or “fragile”, including emergency general surgery, critical care, stroke and orthopaedics.

The decisions will see some specialist services concentrated on fewer hospital sites, alongside plans to expand planned care at Prince Philip Hospital in Llanelli and Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest.

Health chiefs stressed that no immediate changes would take place, with implementation expected to happen gradually over several years.

At Bronglais General Hospital in Aberystwyth there will be increasing focus on acute and emergency care

Consultation and decision process

During summer 2025, the Health Board carried out a major public consultation involving more than 4,000 questionnaire responses and engagement events attended by over 4,000 people.

An independent report produced by Opinion Research Services summarised the feedback, while board members also considered workforce pressures, clinical standards, estate issues and financial factors.

Twenty-two alternative proposals submitted by the public were formally assessed against criteria including sustainability, accessibility and deliverability.

Emergency surgery changes

Under the plans, emergency general surgery operations will be concentrated at Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen and Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth.

Patients from Pembrokeshire requiring surgery will be transferred to Glangwili when operative treatment is needed.

However, emergency departments will continue operating as normal at all four hospitals.

The Health Board promises increased planned care activity while continuing initial emergency access at Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest

Other service changes

Across the region, the approved direction includes:

• Intensive care units remaining at Bronglais, Glangwili and Withybush, with Prince Philip Hospital providing enhanced care for less critically ill patients.
• Dermatology services primarily based at Prince Philip Hospital, supported by community clinics and telemedicine.
• Endoscopy procedures brought together at Prince Philip while retaining bowel screening across sites.
• Ophthalmology services concentrated mainly at Glangwili with community provision elsewhere.
• Orthopaedic surgery expanding at Withybush for less complex procedures.
• Radiology retaining emergency imaging at all hospitals with new diagnostic hubs planned.
• Urology inpatient care centralised at Prince Philip Hospital.

Stroke services remain under review, with further public engagement planned before final decisions.

The Health Board said that Glangwili Hospital there will be increasing focus on acute and emergency care

Future role of hospitals

The Board confirmed the intended future roles of the four main hospitals:

• Bronglais Hospital — broad range of services.
• Glangwili Hospital — increasing focus on acute and emergency care.
• Prince Philip Hospital — expanding planned care role.
• Withybush Hospital — increased planned care activity while continuing initial emergency access.

Health leaders emphasised there would be no change to how patients access emergency departments or minor injury units.

Board leaders respond

Health Board Chair Dr Neil Wooding said the changes were necessary to secure services for the future.

“Our ambition is for people to live healthier lives for longer by supporting people to keep well and preventing ill health,” he said.

“These decisions are not easy, but as a Board we have a duty to ensure that our services provide the best outcomes for our patients and meet the highest standards.”

Lee Davies, Executive Director of Strategy and Planning, said most services now had a clear direction.

“Our priority is always to deliver the highest standards of care for our patients across Hywel Dda and neighbouring communities,” he said.

Next steps

Detailed implementation plans will now be developed, with further engagement expected in areas where decisions are not yet finalised, particularly stroke services.

Patients are being advised to continue attending appointments as normal while the changes are planned.

More information, including board papers and meeting recordings, is available via the Health Board website.

 

Continue Reading

Health

Health board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services

Published

on

Executive Director says emergency surgery transfer is about quality — not loss

THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR of Strategy and Planning at Hywel Dda University Health Board has defended the decision to transfer certain emergency surgery operations from Withybush Hospital, saying the changes are designed to strengthen services rather than remove them.

Lee Davies: Executive Director of Strategy and Planning

Lee Davies told The Herald the “single biggest change” people in west Wales will notice is increased resilience across hospital services.

“The most significant change will be increased resilience and sustainability across services in West Wales,” he said.

“We are strengthening the way services are delivered so that they are less vulnerable to staffing pressures and more consistently available.”

Why now?

Mr Davies said the decision was driven by concerns that some services had become overly dependent on small numbers of clinicians.

“Wales covers a large geographical area, and currently many services are delivered across multiple sites,” he said.

“That has meant that clinical teams are often spread thinly, with some services heavily dependent on a small number of individuals.

“As a result, those services can become vulnerable if staffing circumstances change.”

He added that in certain areas, performance was not matching standards seen in larger UK centres.

“These changes are necessary to strengthen our services, improve sustainability, and ensure we consistently meet high standards of care.”

Emergency surgery at Withybush

Mr Davies confirmed that patients requiring certain general surgery operations will now be transferred to Glangwili Hospital.

However, he rejected suggestions that this amounted to the removal of all emergency surgical care from Pembrokeshire.

“This does not mean that all emergency surgery activity will cease at Withybush Hospital,” he said.

“A small number of patients who require operative procedures will be transferred to Glangwili. Where appropriate, patients will be transferred back to Withybush at the earliest opportunity.”

He acknowledged that some residents may perceive the change as a loss.

“We recognise that some people may see this as a loss,” he said.

“Rather than reacting to staffing pressures in an unplanned way, we are proactively designing a more sustainable and stable model. We believe this approach will provide safer, higher-quality care for the people of Pembrokeshire.”

Reassurance over local hospitals

Asked whether any hospital would lose services under the wider Clinical Services Plan, Mr Davies said no community would lose access.

“There will be changes to how services are provided across West Wales,” he said.

“However, no community will lose access to services. In some cases, services may be delivered in a different location or in a different way.”

He added that all four main hospital sites would continue to play a “vital and important role”.

Monitoring outcomes

Mr Davies said the board had established baseline quality and safety data ahead of the changes and would closely monitor performance.

“We have defined outcome measures and performance expectations,” he said.

“As we move into the improvement phase, we will evaluate whether the changes are delivering anticipated improvements in quality, safety and patient experience.”

 

Continue Reading

News3 hours ago

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the...

Health3 hours ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health22 hours ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health1 day ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Business1 day ago

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who...

Local Government1 day ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime3 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community3 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime3 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business4 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Popular This Week