News
Fishguard: Police investigate criminal damage and attempted burglary
DYFED-POWYS POLICE are investigating an act of criminal damage and attempted burglary, which took place sometime between September 29 and October 7, on Bridge Street in Lower Town, Fishguard.
Unknown persons have sprayed green paint on ground floor windows, deliberately damaged a canvas boat cover and attempted to gain entry to a property.
The damage is valued in the region of £500.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Fishguard police station via 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Community
Anyone can administer EpiPens in emergencies, councillor clarifies
Proposal aims to ensure life-saving devices are available in every Pembrokeshire school
A COUNCILLOR has clarified that anyone is legally permitted to administer an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI), commonly known as an EpiPen, in a medical emergency, following confusion during a recent debate at Pembrokeshire County Council.
Councillor Huw Murphy circulated guidance to colleagues after presenting a Notice of Motion calling for arrangements to be made with Hywel Dda University Health Board so that every school in Pembrokeshire can hold the potentially life-saving devices.

He pointed to changes made to medicines legislation in 2012, which broadened the law to allow any member of the public to administer adrenaline for the purpose of saving a life. Previously, the law required the person giving the injection to have received appropriate training.
Cllr Murphy said he had been aware of the legal position during the debate but was unable to reference the specific regulations at the time due to technical difficulties.
He thanked fellow councillors for supporting the motion in principle and said the estimated cost of around £14,000 to equip schools across the county would represent good value given the potential to prevent fatalities in emergency situations.
The councillor also suggested the Welsh Government may need to review its national policy on the storage and use of AAIs in local authority schools as awareness grows and demand increases.
If approved, the proposal would see discussions take place with health partners to develop a practical framework allowing schools to hold and use the devices safely.
Local Government
Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads
Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures
PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.
The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.
Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.
The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.
The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.
Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.
He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”
He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.
Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.
Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.
Business
Tug crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port
TUG crews working in the Port of Milford Haven have voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action in a growing dispute over pay, according to Unite the Union.
The union said members employed by marine services company Svitzer backed action following what it described as a failure to deliver a fair and acceptable pay offer for 2025.
Unite said the workers carry out “highly skilled work that is essential to operations in the Port of Milford Haven” and that members were becoming increasingly frustrated at a lack of meaningful progress in negotiations.
The ballot result does not automatically mean strike action will take place, but it gives the union a mandate to call action if talks do not improve.
Tug services play a critical safety role in guiding large vessels, including oil tankers and liquefied natural gas carriers, through the Milford Haven Waterway — one of the UK’s most strategically important energy ports.
The Herald has contacted Svitzer and the Port of Milford Haven Authority for comment on the potential impact on operations and any contingency planning.
A spokesperson for Unite said members had sent a strong message through the ballot and would have the full support of the union in seeking a fair resolution.
At the time of publication, no dates for possible industrial action had been announced.
The Herald will provide updates as more information becomes available.
-
Health5 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community6 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime3 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community18 hours agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education3 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community2 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Community6 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway





