Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Protestors: ‘Health meeting is a load of bull’

Published

on

portestWITHYBUSH Hospital’s Conference Centre was the scene of protests on Thursday as the Local Health Board held its first executive board meeting in the county since confirming its intention to proceed with the imminent transfer of vital services from Haverfordwest to Carmarthen. Ahead of the meeting, the Herald spoke to some of those gathered outside: Heather Scammell from Haverfordwest told us: “It’s vitally important that we retain core services at Withybush. Carmarthen is just too far to get to in an emergency and I know from my own experience how vitally important it is to get there quickly when push comes to shove. “When he was 13, my son collapsed into a diabetic coma. He was rushed to A&E at Withybush and I was told he wouldn’t have made it in time to get to Carmarthen. He was in a paediatric ward for a week, in a high dependency unit and then on to an ordinary ward. He had open access to that ward as a child. “I could get there in five minutes, if there were subsequent problems. It was a safe environment for him to be treated in. If A&E had been reduced to a 12 hour service, my son would be dead. “My husband died in the intensive care unit five years ago; they are talking about reducing critical care. The three weeks he was there I could stay there and get there quickly. It was such an important part of his being ready to die and me coming to terms with what was happening. If he had died on the way to Glangwili I would probably still be in pieces. “We were also able to donate his organs which I regarded as so important, it helped me so much. We and the recipients of the organs would have been denied that. Just because they have decided to apply an urban model into a rural area where we don’t have the infrastructure. We do not trust the Health Board or the Welsh Assembly Government. “I think it’s partly a money saving issue and they have this model – everything is ‘sucked’ to Carmarthen. The roads deteriorate as you cross the border (into Pembrokeshire). Carmarthen voted them (the Assembly) in – we didn’t. “A hospital contributes so much to the economy. People, staff, will have to move away. The knock on effect will be massive. Already I know of one couple who have chosen not to retire down here because they don’t trust the Health Board to provide the health care they need. My mother was ill recently and I felt I couldn’t bring her down here. I no longer have the confidence it would have been safe to bring her down from Stafford.” Moira Lewis of Goodwick was even more trenchant in her criticism: “This is the slippery slope of downgrading Withybush Hospital”. Discussing whether the Board would address protestors’ concerns she said: “I walked out in disgust as I could see it was a whitewash and they were only here to put over only what they were going to do. They hadn’t taken any notice of the letters they had received, or the demonstrations. “I walked out when they started saying they were going to give evidence of a patient experience in Withybush, that had nothing to do with the cuts, it was about a woman with diabetes, how she arrived in hospital etc etc. “I said this has got nothing to do with what is going on in Withybush, this is a load of bull, it’s disgraceful – you haven’t listened to anybody and taken no notice of demonstrations. They (the Health Board) are determined to put through whatever changes they have suggested no matter what, to the detriment of people in the county and people will suffer as a result and there could be deaths. “It’s like we are becoming a third world country here. I don’t know what we can do – the Court of Human Rights maybe – we must discuss that with the SWAT committee.” The Pembrokeshire Herald can reveal that a key element of the muchvaunted “safety net” announced by Welsh Health Minister Mark Drakeford is still not finalised. The Special Care Baby Unit is due to close on August 4. An advertisement to crew the 24/7 single ambulance that will replace emergency maternity admissions in Withybush has a closing date 24 hours afterwards. That advertisement indicates that the Board is seeking 12 paramedic staff to replace inpatient consultant-led services for emergency mother and baby admissions, offering salaries of between £21,424 and £27,901 for a twelve month secondment. The fact that the secondment is only of one year’s duration adds fuel to concerns that the Board, which has not yet even begun to build the midwifeled unit scheduled for Withybush, and might seek to renege on its pledge to retain maternity services at the hospital. The Herald has been told by hospital staff that they have been told that if there are problems in delivering a midwife-led service at Haverfordwest, the Maternity Unit will close. The Herald also understands from hospital staff members that the Board has told them that they must transfer to Glangwili without compensation when their duties are redeployed or they will be deemed to have “voluntarily” left the Board’s employment. In a separate story the Herald asked the Health Board to comment on the rumoured withdrawal of the Out of Hours Doctors Service at South Pembs. The Board responded to our request and a spokesperson told us: “The rumour is not true. The service at South Pembrokeshire Hospital has not been withdrawn. We do regularly have an Out of Hours GP based there on a Saturday and Sunday mornings. Recently, due to ongoing shortages of GPs, there have been occasions when this has been unable to happen. On these occasions, the out of hours service is still available at Withybush Hospital.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Port boss: Pembroke Dock development full permission an ‘important step’

Published

on

THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the Port of Milford Haven has welcomed a decision of “non-intervention” by the Welsh Government over plans to re-vamp Pembroke Dock’s historic port facilities.

The redevelopment scheme, approved by Pembrokeshire County Council’s Planning Committee in May, will see some areas such as a dock covered with sand and “infilled”.

Plans also include the demolishing of some buildings, erection of buildings and ancillary works.
Despite planning being granted at council level, full authorisation to go ahead with the development was not to be issued until the Welsh Government made its decision regards the matter.

More about the planning application can be read here: https://www.herald.wales/west-wales/pembrokeshire/major-marine-project-causes-concern-about-visual-impact-and-heritage-loss/

Now that the Welsh Government has decided not to interfere with Pembrokeshire County Council’s grant of planning permission, the Port’s boss, Andy Jones, expressed his delight, saying: “This marks an important step forward in the development of Wales’ clean energy centre at Pembroke Dock.

“It will provide sustainable opportunities for the many people who rely on the activity along the Milford Haven Waterway for employment.

CEO: Port Authority’s Andy Jones (Pic MHPA)

“Pembroke Dock Marine will unlock new opportunities for young people to enter the maritime, renewable and engineering sectors, build resilience within Pembrokeshire’s business community, and make a positive contribution to our natural environment as we transition to a low carbon energy generation.”

Tim James, head of commercial and energy at the Port of Milford Haven called the project a “once in a generation opportunity to improve Pembrokeshire’s economy for years to come”.

Objectors had complained that the plans were too large and would damage the historic dockyard, as well as having a visual impact on the dock.

The was opposition from local heritage campaigners, with complaints over the size of two huge proposed hangars which the project’s critics said would impact adversely the landscape.

The economic benefits of the £60 million marine energy “far outweigh” any impact on the historic environment, a report earlier this year to council planners said.

Continue Reading

News

Medical evacuation from LPG tanker off St Ann’s Head

Published

on

ANGLE Lifeboat was launched on service at 12:59pm on Thursday afternoon (Jun 10) to assist in a medical evacuation from a LPG tanker 13 miles SSW off St Ann’s Head.

The coastguard helicopter from Newquay in Cornwall was also on route. With the poor visibility due to fog, Angle all-weather lifeboat was to stand by the vessel to provide an alternative route for evacuation if needed.

After a choppy route in the poor visibility the RNLI volunteers arrived on scene at 2:07pm.

At the time of their arrival, the paramedic from the coastguard helicopter was aboard the vessel preparing the casualty to be winched to the helicopter.

In less than ten minutes the casualty was winched up to the helicopter and flown to hospital, at which point the lifeboat and crews were stood down and headed back to the station.

After rehousing shortly after 3:30pm the lifeboat was washed fuelled and made ready for service shortly after.

Continue Reading

News

Milford Haven child sex offender Colin Sharpe jailed for 10 years

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN child abuser sat crying in court as details of his four-year long abuse of a schoolgirl were read out.

Colin Sharpe’s teenage victim says she is now “plagued by nightmares” that he will return and abuse her again, Swansea Crown Court heard.

Sharpe, 40, of Howarth Close was told by Judge Paul Thomas QC at Swansea Crown Court that “Your only concern was your own selfish sexual pleasure.”

The court heard that after the matter was reported to police and officers began a search for tSharpe. He was found in his vehicle in a car park at St Ann’s Head.

The court was told that police used their car to block Sharpe’s exist from the car park but he “sped off” across the grass towards the cliff edge before crashing into a fence.

The defendant abandoned his vehicle and made off on foot to the clifftop. A standoff then developed during which police brought in a specialist negotiator to talk him down.

After a lengthy negotiation Sharpe was arrested.

Passing sentence, the judge told Sharpe: “You had no concern for the psychological damage you did.”

He added: “But it is to your credit that you immediately admitted what you had done; this had saved his victim the further ordeal of giving evidence in a trial.

Judge Paul Thomas jailed Sharpe for 10 years and imposed an indefinite order requiring him to sign the sexual offences register on release.

Sharpe will now be subject to an indefinite sexual harm prevention order and an indefinite restraining order when he is released.

As The Herald previously reported, Sharpe, who has been on remand since March, admitted one charge of sexual assault and five of sexual activity with a child, all between July 2017 and March 2021.

Police were informed about the sexual abuse by a third party, who discovered what he had done, and he was arrested and questioned early last year.

Earlier, Ian Wright, counsel for the CPS said that Sharpe used “emotional blackmail to frighten the girl into staying silent”.

He added “Matters seem to have come to a head on March 12 this year after Sharpe had once again sexually abused his victim.”

Dean Pulling, defending, said that when the police interviewed Sharpe he gave ‘guilty pleas and admissions’ at the earliest opportunity.

Excerpts from a personal victim statement highlighting the ongoing ordeal of Sharpe’s teenage victim were also read out in court.

“I am having nightmares,” the statement reads.

“I have nightmares of him coming back from prison and starting to do worse. My life has been greatly affected.”

Continue Reading
News20 hours ago

Port boss: Pembroke Dock development full permission an ‘important step’

THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the Port of Milford Haven has welcomed a decision of “non-intervention” by the Welsh Government over...

News21 hours ago

Medical evacuation from LPG tanker off St Ann’s Head

ANGLE Lifeboat was launched on service at 12:59pm on Thursday afternoon (Jun 10) to assist in a medical evacuation from...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven child sex offender Colin Sharpe jailed for 10 years

A MILFORD HAVEN child abuser sat crying in court as details of his four-year long abuse of a schoolgirl were...

News4 days ago

Police on patrol near key industry infrastructure

OPERATION SERVATOR patrols were carried out on Wednesday morning (Jun )  with the Joint Firearms Unit and the roads policing...

News4 days ago

Paul Davies raises marina hotel development in Senedd chamber

A NEW hotel development in Milford Haven has been raised in the Senedd Chamber by local Member Paul Davies. Mr...

News4 days ago

Police looking for missing Pembrokeshire teenager [Update: Girl has been found]

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for help to find 15-year-old Rosie Suvarna-Umeanozie who is missing after travelling from Tenby to London...

News5 days ago

Coronavirus cases in Wales still lowest in UK says Health Minister

WALES continues to have the lowest rate of coronavirus cases in the UK, Welsh Health Minister Eluned Morgan said today. ...

Sport5 days ago

Welsh Government pilot test event confirmed for North Pembs

THE Wales Triathlon will take place in Fishguard on Saturday (12 June) as part of the Welsh Government’s series of pilot...

News5 days ago

Herald lodges application to overturn reporting restriction at the Court of Appeal

THE PEMBROKESHIRE HERALD has applied to the Court of Appeal to overturn the press gagging order which prevented the defence...

News6 days ago

Drakeford: “We will not be lifting every restriction in Wales from June 21”

WALES will not have every Covid restriction lifted on June 21, according to comments made by Welsh first minister Mark...

Popular This Week