Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Murco sale ‘close to collapse’

Published

on

murco saleONLY one bidder remains as a possible buyer for Murphy Oil’s 130,000 barrels-per-day Milford Haven refinery, but the process is close to collapse, a source familiar with the matter said on Sunday.

The refinery, operated by U.S. oil and gas company Murphy Oil subsidiary Murco, is the latest British plant to face closure as the industry battles lower demand and increased competition from new, modern refineries in the Middle East and Asia.

Officials at Murphy Oil were not immediately available for comment. The source told the Herald a last bidder was still in the running to buy the plant as a going concern although the bid was seen as having little chance of success.

Many analysts believe the plant is likely to be turned into a storage terminal.

The refinery has been up for sale for three years, but Murphy Oil has failed to find a buyer for the plant, which employs nearly 400 in West Wales.

It is believed that at least two companies were offered the plant for free, plus a dowry worth “tens of millions” of pounds.
Fears that the refinery could close follow the battle to save the Grangemouth refinery complex, on the Firth of Forth, Scotland.

A spokesman for the Welsh government said: “We maintain regular contact with Murco and will continue to communicate with them about their operation in Wales.”

Pembrokeshire councillor John Allen-Mirehouse, former cabinet member for regeneration and economic development on Pembrokeshire County Council said: “This is a turbulent time for oil refining and the industry in Pembrokeshire is not exempt from these pressures. I would be horrified if the refinery closed. The jobs there are very skilled, well paid and very important to the community.”

The Milford Haven refinery can process up to five million tonnes of crude oil per year. Murco bought 30% of the then Amoco refinery in 1981 and acquired the remaining 70% in December 2007.

It was first reported that the Milford Haven site was threatened last year when Murphy chief executive David Wood said that in the absence of an offer the company was “evaluating the potential conversion of the facility into a storage terminal”.

Since then, the plants economic performance has slipped further as oil margins in the UK have come under pressure.

In its preliminary results, published on October 30 this year, Murphy Oil planed “weaker margins at the Milford Haven refinery” for a loss of $22.7m (£14.23m) in its UK refining and marketing operations.

Production at the plant has fallen slightly in the last year to average 126,303 barrels a day over the last month, down from 132,282 barrels a day for the same period the previous year.

The Murco plant is one of two oil refineries in West Wales alongside the Valero plant at Pembroke which was sold by former owner Chevron in August 2011.

The possibility of a shutdown at the Milford Haven refinery is likely to cause fresh concern in Whitehall and with the Welsh Government.

The Scottish Government was quick to meet union leaders and management at Grangemouth, eventually averting the threat of closure.

Murco could not be contacted for comment.

Experts say that the refining industry, which was built up decades ago to convert North Sea crude into petrol and diesel, is struggling as domestic oil production falls and facilities age.

The number of refineries has dwindled from 18 to seven.

Milford Haven is the only refinery left in Murphy Oil’s empire after the company sold a pair of American sites.

The industry has also been weakened by the rise of diesel-powered cars as many refineries, including Murco’s, mostly produce petrol.

In terms of size and complexity, the most marginal refinery Britain is Milford Haven because of its small capacity.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.

The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.

Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.

Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/

Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.

Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Sexual assault allegation to be tried

Published

on

Accused granted conditional bail

A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.

David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.

The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.

The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Drink drive allegation denied

Published

on

Trial date fixed by magistrates

A MOTORIST has denied a drink-driving allegation when the case came before magistrates.

Michael Miles, 39, of Milford Road, Johnston, Haverfordwest, appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court charged with driving a motor vehicle when the alcohol level was above the prescribed limit.

The court heard that on January 24, 2026, it is alleged that Miles drove a Ford Transit on the A477 at Jordanston after consuming so much alcohol, that the proportion in his breath was 52 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, exceeding the legal limit of 35.

Miles entered a not guilty plea on February 10, 2026.

The matter was adjourned for trial on May 21 at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court. He was remanded on unconditional bail.

 

Continue Reading

Crime16 hours ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community1 day ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime1 day ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business2 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime2 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government2 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News3 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health4 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime5 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week